Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
2. Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth.
3. Check every faucet in your home for leaks. Just a slow drip can waste 15 to 20 gallons per day. Repairing these problems can save 6,000 gallons a year or more.
4. Check your toilets for leaks by putting a few drops of food coloring in the tank, watch for a few minutes to see if the color shows up in the bowl. It is not uncommon to lose up to 100 gallons a day from one of these otherwise invisible toilet leaks. Fix it and you can save more than 30,000 gallons a year.
5. Use your water meter to detect leaks. Simply turn off all taps and water using appliances, then check the meter after 15 minutes. If the meter moved, you have a leak.More...
Show All Answers
5. Use your water meter to detect leaks. Simply turn off all taps and water using appliances, then check the meter after 15 minutes. If the meter moved, you have a leak. More...
1. In the fall when the watering season has ended, have a company service your system and winterize it. By making sure the system is empty and ready for winter you will protect it from damage and prevent possible leaks.
2. When turning the system on in the spring, make sure that it is checked for leaks.
3. There are many sprinkler systems presently installed that go on and off automatically. This can be a very effective way to control the systems, but there are many that do not sense moisture. There are many cases where we have seen these systems operating during wet periods, during rain and times when the ground is already saturated. There is equipment that can be installed that will prevent this from occurring, this equipment is able to sense the moisture and will turn the system off when it is not needed. Depending on the size of the system this can make a large difference in the amount of water used.
If you have a system in place, you will want to check the Water Department website to see when we will be doing our hydrant flushing. This is done in the spring and fall, during this time you may want to remove your filter and flush your lines before replacing it. Please contact your service provider for the correct way to do this.